how can wehelp you?
Contract Terms and Conditions
How long can I access the locker for?
You have 15 minutes to access your locker whilst inside the vault. This is usually enough for a large majority of our customers. If you need longer then please let our Customer Services Team know in advance.
Do I need to disclose the contents of my locker?
No, you do not need to disclose the contents of your lockers.
Please note that you are not permitted to store anything illegal or dangerous items like living organisms, drugs, weapons, explosives, gas canisters, or liquids of any kind. You are also not permitted to store anything that has not been legally acquired by you.
Can I change my locker size?
You can change your locker size at any time you want. You will have to pay the difference if your new locker is larger than the existing one. This amount is calculated on the yearly rental difference on a pro-rata basis. We do not issue refunds if you downsize your locker.
How many people can access my locker?
Up to 3 persons can be registered on any account to access the locker. This can be one principal account holder and two additional persons or two principal account holder and one additional person. Only registered persons will be allowed inside the vault.
Are you following the COVID guidelines?
Yes, we have adapted our business in line with Government regulations throughout the pandemic. You can read more about our current practice on our dedicated COVID page.
Is the jewellery valuation service provided by Bank House Lockers?
The jewellery valuation service is provided by Prestige Valuations on our premises. Please get in touch with our Customer Services team at the branch if you want to use this service.
What happens in the event of death?
In case of the death of the account holder, where there is no other authorized person on the account, full access is only available once the estate has been granted probate. To grant any kind of access we will need to see relevant documentation. As individual circumstances may differ, each request will be reviewed on a case by case basis with any legal and administration costs borne by the customer’s estate. Read our third party access procedure.
What if I lose my key or access card?
If you have lost your key or your card, you must inform us immediately so that access to your safe deposit locker can be blocked while replacements are issued.
You are issued with two identical keys at the time you open your account with us. We do not hold a key to your locker. If you have lost one key the other spare key will still open your locker. However, if both keys are lost then the lock will need to be broken for you to gain access. You will need to make an appointment with us so we can arrange for our engineer to drill open the locker and fit a new lock in your presence. This service will incur a charge of £246. All principal account holders will need to be present during this appointment.
If you have lost the Biometric Photo ID card then a new one will need to be issued to you. Please contact our office for this. This service will incur a charge of £15.
What are your opening hours?
Please refer to the CONTACT US page for the opening hours.
How often can I access my safe deposit box?
As often as you like. There is no restriction on the number of times in a day, week or month that you can access your safe deposit box.
Can I access my contents quickly in case of an emergency?
Our process is very easy and simple whilst being completely secure. Come to our office and use the standard security procedure to access the account. You can get access to the contents of your locker within a few minutes of your arrival. No appointment is necessary.
Do you have a private area to view the contents of my locker?
Yes. We provide private cabins to allow you to access and manage the contents of your valuables. The inside of the vault is monitored by CCTV but not the private cabins.
What can be stored in my locker?
You can store anything that has been lawfully acquired by you. It does not need to belong to you but you should have the right to access it and store it in your locker. This can be cash, jewellery, property deeds, legal documents, wills, rare coins, share certificates, back up disks, insurance contract, etc.
You are not permitted to store anything illegal or dangerous like drugs, weapons, explosives, gas canisters, or liquids of any kind. You are also not permitted to store anything that has not been legally acquired by you.
Can other people access my safe deposit locker?
Only registered persons can access a locker and its contents. We allow up to a maximum of three people to operate an account. This includes a combination of either two principal account holders and one additional person or one principal account holder and two additional persons, authorised and registered with us.
However, we recognise that there are circumstances where third parties may require access . Some examples might be:
- Incapacitation for any reason
- Court Order
- We will consider granting access to third party on a case by case basis. Please contact our office explaining your circumstances and be prepared to produce legal documentation to support your need for access. Without appropriate documentation we will be unable to grant you access.
Under all circumstances, we will seek legal guidance before we grant third party access.
Death of the account holder
You must notify us immediately of the death of an account holder.
Up to three people can be registered to access any safe deposit box. If an account holder has died then the other registered person(s) on the account can still access the safe deposit box.
In case of the death of the account holder, where there is no other authorised person on the account, full access is only available once the estate has been granted probate. To grant any kind of access we will need to see relevant documentation. As individual circumstances may differ, each request will be reviewed on a case by case basis with any legal and administration costs borne by the customer’s estate.
The person seeking access must bring with them documents for Proof of ID and Proof of Address. Please read the full list of documents that we are able to accept.
Proof of ID (one of the following)
Proof of address (one of the following)
Council Tax Statement
Current Utility Bill within the last three months
Once the estate has been granted probate, full and complete access is possible.
Access by the law enforcement authorities
We operate within the law of the United Kingdom and may be required by court order to allow the law enforcement authorities to access a safe deposit box without the consent of the account holder. We are required to comply with such enforcements.
Why not use a bank?
Majority of the banks are no longer providing this service or are in the process of shutting it down as it is not a part of their core business. This is resulting in higher charges, limited space and reduced access hours. Read “Death of the bank safety deposit box” on the BBC.
How do I renew or cancel my contract with you?
One month before the expiry of your contract we will contact you by email or letter, inviting you to renew. Renewals can be done online, in person or over the phone using a credit card, debit card or bank transfer. If you do not wish to renew then simply empty the locker and return both keys and your Photo ID cards. We will refund your key deposit when we have received these back from you.
What do I need to open an account with you?
You will need to produce two documents, one from [A] and one from [B] parts.
[A] Proof of identity:
- UK Passport
- UK Driving Licence with photo. (Full) *
- Travel documents issued by the UK Government *
- All other current signed valid Passports, with a valid UK Visa where applicable*
- UK Biometric Residence Permits card
[B] Proof of address:
- UK Driving Licence with photo. (Full or provisional)
- Bank/Building Society/UK Credit Card statement (dated within last 3 months)
- UK Credit union statement (dated within last 3 months)
- Benefits entitlement letter (dated within the last 12 months)
- Council tax bill/demand letter/exemption certificate (dated within 12 months)
- HMRC Tax notifications & correspondence (dated within last 12 months)
- Benefits or pensions notification letter confirming the right to benefit. (dated within last 12 months)
- Electoral Register entry card (dated within the last 12 months)
- UK utility bill (gas, electricity, water, telephone landline) (dated within last 3 months)
- Tenancy agreement issued by a solicitor, housing association, local council or reputable letting agency. (dated within last 12 months)
- Student/Graduates only – an enrolment confirmation letter from your UK university.
Important note regarding acceptable documents:
- Identity documents must be the Valid, Original and most recent ones. We don’t accept expired documents and handwritten passports or ID cards.
- Documents used for proof of address should show your full name and current address.
- Where you need to provide two separate documents, the same one cannot be used twice, even if it appears in both lists. The documents must be from different companies.
- If you providing statements printed from Internet Banking, then it should be certified stamped by banks.
- We reserve the right to obtain additional identification and address verification documents if required.
* If you’re not a UK, EU, EEA or Swiss national, require valid passport containing your current visa or Biometric Residence Permits (with at least 6 months left on it).
Are my valuables insured?
No they are not. We provide complete privacy to our customers and do not know the value of the contents in your locker. We are therefore unable to advise you on safe deposit box insurance, nor are we qualified to advise on or sell insurance.
Is your business regulated?
Yes. We are regulated by the FCA (Financial Conduct Authority) for the purposes of Anti-Money Laundering and Counter Terrorism Financing. Our certificate number is 484934. We take this seriously and comply fully with the relevant authorities.
Are my valuable safe with you?
Ensuring the security of your valuables is of paramount concern to us. Your valuables are stored with us in a highly secure environment that is alarmed and monitored 24 hours/7 days a week.
Your personal items be they cash, jewellery, documentation or sentimental possessions are kept in a box locked away in your own assigned safe deposit locker which is housed in a strong metal vault where only authorised persons can access. Access to the vault is only allowed to registered persons and requires biometric verification. Only you have access to your locker, we do not retain a key. Our security officers constantly monitor access to and from the vaults. Customer privacy is ensured by the provision of private cabins where you can take your box and review your possessions before replacing them back into your locker.
Why should we trust you?
Bank House Lockers Ltd are state of the art safe deposit centres located in Southall and Croydon, and are a part of the Bank House franchise that has been providing safe deposit lockers for over 30 years. Our intent is simple. The provision of a large range of lockers housed in the securest environment to meet varying customer needs, accessible during our working hours, provided on a cost effective basis and thereby providing a 1st class service to the community.
accessing your safe deposit locker
- How long can I access the locker for?
- Do I need to disclose the contents of my locker?
- What happens in the event of death?
- What if I lose my key or access card?
- What are your opening hours?
- How often can I access my safe deposit box?
- Can I access my contents quickly in case of an emergency?
- Do you have a private area to view the contents of my locker?
- What can be stored in my locker?
- Can other people access my safe deposit locker?
What happens in the event of death?
can’t find what you are looking for?
Mon to Fri: 10am to 6pm (Last/Entry 5.45pm)
Sat: 10am to 4pm (Last/Entry 3.45pm) Sun: Closed
send us a message
Write to us your queries and we’ll try to get back to you within 24 hours